Friday, 9 January 2015

The greatest thing about dyslexia is that even when you put a tonne of your effort to something silly like writing a status or a tweet, there is still a 90% chance that if you don't spend a solid hour checking it, It'll have at least four or five mistakes and someone is going to point them out in a well meaning but aggravating way.

Do you tell the the heavy guy in the gym that he maybe should have skipped a take away or two,whilst he is working out? Doubt it. It's the effort that counts even if the execution isn't exactly spot on. Sure, if no effort has been made then I'd personally consider it my laziness that has been the dick move rather than you pointing it out. 

Also in the box: 
- A terrible memory, which is always great when trying to study for exams, like wise I seem to have an inability to focus for longer than about ten minutes at a time.

- My hand writing has only improved since I've been working seriously on it, out of embarrassment mainly because I'm twenty now and I used to write like a five year old.

- I'll tell the same story five or six times occasionally because I won't remember saying it in the first place.

- Please God, never ask me to read something out loud because the words jumble themselves up and the chances of what I'm saying making sense is so low. 

- Because I played sport from a young age, this isn't as much as an issue for me as it is for some but coordination is a factor. It was obvious when I was doing my driving, I couldn't keep the car going in a straight line, depending on where my focus was the car would go that way. 

The same happens when walking, the amount of times I walk into people (a personal favourite walking side by side with someone) I'll end up pushing them into the road or a bush. My girlfriend gets particularly pissed off at this one, as of course I walk closely with her. It makes it easier when we are holding hands because it's like having stabilisers, but I feel horrendously bad every time she has to point out that I've pushed her off into something or off the pavement. This is probably one of the things I work hardest on but I don't think it's that evident. 

- I re wrote an essay for one of my college classes last year between thirty and forty times because my expression of information is terrible. Most of the class did it twice and where finished. 

- " I didn't know you where dyslexic, I thought you where quite smart" firstly rude. Secondly I am quite smart, it takes a little extra time and effort but I'm achieving more than expected. 

No comments:

Post a Comment